Has to be a cheat again this week. Not many Ys in my collection really so I’ll take a step back 20 years and say Y is for Youth! A few songs that were favourites around two decades ago, in my last year of school and first year at University – mainly indie tracks that got everybody up at student nights, in those long-ago and, to be honest, rather rare days when I actually went to nightclubs.
1) Can You Dig It – The Mock Turtles: Loved this one from the first time I heard it, and still do. Brilliant, in fact probably one of my favourite songs.
2) There She Goes – The Las: Simple, but brilliantly effective song. Not much more to say, I just think it’s superb.
3) Sheriff Fatman – Carter USM: Unlike many fellow students at that time, I wasn’t a big fan of Carter, but I always thought this one was great. Did like their original and sometimes clever lyrics.
4) Unbelievable – EMF: Indie pop at its very best. Many a happy (read inebriated) time spent leaping around dance floors in Nottingham and Birmingham to this one.
5) All Together Now – The Farm: Really liked The Farm, and this is their best. Whoever thought you could make a pop song out of the famous “Christmas ceasefire football match” story?
So now I’ve had a good reminisce! Sorry you all had to share it with me!