B is for The Beatles
I’ve known Beatles songs all my life – I think anyone who has grown up since they were around probably has too. Their music has become a part of our culture over the 50 years since they began their career. But it is only in the last few years that I have really listened to their music in depth and looked beyond the biggest hits, and now I am something of a fanatic, albeit rather belatedly. They wrote great songs, played superbly and were pioneers – when you listen to Beatles albums you can hear where so much later rock and pop music stems from. I love so many of their songs, it is hard to choose just five, but here goes:
(1) Ticket To Ride – Have loved this song for a long, long time. Just a brilliant musical and vocal performance.
(2) Here Comes The Sun – Brilliant George Harrison song, with superb guitar work as you would expect from such a master of the instrument.
(3) Penny Lane – I think this is simply one of the best pure pop tunes that has ever been written.
(4) I Saw Her Standing There – Love all their early rock n roll material, but this is the best and it is an original not a cover.
(5) In My Life – Amazing ballad that strikes such a chord with me. Trying to explain that even though you’re nostalgic and a bit of a dreamer, you know what really matters.