Give me a break! The only letter that has a grand total of 0 artists in my music library – and the only track I can think of that I have on a compilation is “Senses Working Overtime” by XTC. So no band to choose this week, instead let’s call it the “X Files” – a few songs I absolutely love, by artists who are highly unlikely to ever feature in Music Monday under their actual first letter, either because they only made one famous song or I don’t like enough of their other stuff. So, here goes…
(1) Drift Away – Dobie Grey. Brilliant song, that sums up how I feel about great music. Used to have a bootleg version by Springsteen, which I liked even more, but the original is still fantastic.
(2) Breakfast At Tiffany’s – Deep Blue Something. A one hit wonder, and one of those where you can’t believe they made a song so brilliant and then nothing else that made any impact at all.
(3) Stay (I Missed You) – Lisa Loeb. I’ve loved this one ever since it was first released, and listen to it quite often as it’s on my favourite acoustic compilation. Some lines describe me a bit too well, but even that doesn’t spoil my enjoyment.
(4) Runaway Train – Soul Asylum. Fantastic tune, which I really enjoy listening to and playing on the guitar.
(5) Mr Tambourine Man – The Byrds. For me, this is miles better than the original Dylan version, but then I am a bit of a sucker for a jangly guitar sound! Just a superb song, and another I have been known to belt out myself on guitar.
Should be back to the normal “artist or band beginning with the letter” next week, I’m off to spend 6 days trawling through my extensive collection beginning with Y. Did I say days, sorry, meant minutes.